Studying historical events can sometimes be boring to read out of a textbook. Having students do research and create projects about these events can make it more fun and entertaining for their peers when they present. While looking through various presentation orientated websites, I found Museum Box. This website allows students to create a box of facts, pictures, links and videos to support their viewpoint or research of a topic. All of these things can be uploaded into six different boxes (which each have six sides, like a box). The main goal of this lesson would be to have the student find a viewpoint about their topic and support that point with facts, photos and even videos (if they are available). Students can also work together on a collaborative project. The research for the project does not have to be historical, of course, and there are many different topics that can be chosen for students to work on.
This site can allow for active participation. It also allows for a quick assessment on the part of the educator to see if the student is on task and understanding their topic. The teacher will be able to monitor the student's progress as well, if they have the students upload their boxes to the main links.
The example that was done is on the 19th Amendment, or the Women's Suffrage Movement. The image that I present is what the set up will look like once the student has put the information on the front of each box. After their information has been entered into each portion of the boxes, they can submit their work to a shared page and others can look at it to see what other people had said.

This looks like an awesome site! I'm glad you did a little research and found something that would work for you and your content area. Is there any way you could have embedded the actual "box" or put a link to it? I'd like to see the whole thing. It looks like they can add voice and video which would be great incorporation of multimedia.
ReplyDeleteI would like a more specific explanation of the actual lesson you plan to teach with this. Grade level? Specific content? Objectives? How long it would take? Process to complete?
I like the site that you used. It seems like a site that would work great for many different history type projects. I totally agree that historical events can be kind of boring to learn about through a text book. History was my least favorite subject in high school. I think that using tools other than a text book can help make the class more interesting for the students.
ReplyDelete